Our Activities: Mayors Adapt
About the Mayors Adapt initiative
- First pan-European initiative to support local authorities in leading the way on adaptation to climate change,
- Launched in March 2014 by the European Commission's Directorate General Climate Action,
- Building upon the EU adaptation strategy and the results of past EC projects,
- Implemented within the framework of the Covenant of Mayors
Covenant of Mayors vs. Mayors Adapt – similarities and differences
Taking coherent action on mitigation and adaptation will benefit the local authorities. In parallel with reducing greenhouse gas emissions, local authorities also need to strengthen their resilience to the inevitable impacts of climate change. Taking effective action on mitigation will reduce the need to adapt. However, extreme weather events show that climate change impacts are already increasing vulnerabilities, and hindering social cohesion and economic development - therefore action on adaptation is also needed.
Mayors Adapt follows the model of the Covenant of Mayors initiative (e.g. voluntary commitment, political ownership) – it is a parallel exercise for adaptation. The objective is to support local authorities in taking coherent action on both mitigation and adaptation, by promoting an integrated approach.
Mayors Adapt's key objectives are:
- to inspire local authorities to show leadership on climate change adaptation,
- to support them in developing strategies for concrete action,
- to translate and accelerate action on adaptation to improve local resilience to climate impacts.
Why to join?
Mayors Adapt helps your local authority to:
- become a forerunner and demonstrate your political leadership in adaptation,
- showcase your action and expertise on adaptation, thanks to the initiative's pan-European activities and outreach,
- set up and implement local adaptation plans by providing first-class support through a dedicated helpdesk,
- gain quick access to expertise with targeted guidance materials and tools tailored for local authorities,
- network with other European cities and benefit from their experiences and good practice through dedicated events and access to comprehensive city profiles,
... make your local authority more attractive, livable, healthier and safer!
"Strong political commitment is essential for taking coherent climate action. Munich has an ambitious CO₂ reduction target and also works on resilience to ensure the quality of life of its citizens. Increased flooding is tackled via restoration of the river Isar and the issue of heat waves considered in urban planning" - Joachim Lorenz, city councillor from Munich and President of Climate Alliance
Sign up to the initiative
More information on the adhesion process here.
By signing up to the initiative, local authorities commit to translating EU Adaptation Strategy into concrete and effective local adaptation action by either (1) developing a comprehensive local adaptation strategy or (2) integrating adaptation to climate change into relevant existing plans within 2 years after joining. The resulting plan(s) should include main outcomes of a risk and vulnerability assessment. Mayors Adapt signatories will also report on progress every second year according to the framework of the initiative (more information on the reporting requirements on the website).
Download the Full Commitment Document for more information.
What Mayors Adapt offers?
- Practical support offered by a dedicated Helpdesk for operational questions,
- Knowledge support via targeted guidance materials - specifically tailored to local authorities,
- Possibilities of networking and peer-to-peer learning activities through dedicated events,
- Visibility and communication on cities'commitment to adaptation via personalised Signatory profiles on the Mayors Adapt website,
- Synergies with the Covenant of Mayors and other relevant initiatives such as Climate-ADAPT.
Funding for adaptation action is available through various EU funding streams and instruments. For example the new LIFE programme encourages urban adaptation projects, in particular those linked to Mayors Adapt. More information here.
About the Mayors Adapt office
Support is provided through a dedicated office, composed of a team of experts from across Europe, including: Climate Alliance, Ecofys, Fresh Thoughts and IFOK GmbH.
Main role & missions of Climate Alliance include:
- Identifying the main needs and expectations of European local authorities towards the new EU initiative through Consultation Workshops,
- Shaping the initiative and notably the Political Commitment Document to be signed by local authorities,
- Mobilising and supporting local authorities, notably through the operation of the Helpdesk and the organisation of information events,
- Ensuring the synergies with the Covenant of Mayors – our network being part of both the consortium designing and implementing the Mayors Adapt, as well as one of the networks running the Covenant of Mayors Office.
Want to learn more?
For more information about the Mayors Adapt initiative, contact the dedicated helpdesk:
E-Mail: helpdesk(at)mayors-adapt.eu | Tel.: 0032-2-808 44 92
For further information on how to join the initiative and take action, please visit:
Mayors Adapt Video clip here
Want to join us at our events?
Local outreach events in different Member States: check the online calendar.