Our Activities: Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors at a glance
- First European Commission's initiative directly targeting local authorities and their citizens to take the lead in mitigating and adapting to the effects of climate change through the development and implementation of sustainable energy and climate policies – the Covenant is the result of intensive lobbying by networks such as Climate Alliance;
- Based on a voluntary commitment, Signatory cities pledge action to support implementation of the EU greenhouse gas-reduction target and the adoption of a joint approach to tackling mitigation and adaptation to climate change;
- Portrayed by the European institutions as an exceptional model of multi-level governance and "subsidiarity" in action, the Covenant of Mayors develops or strengthens existing partnerships between local and regional/national/European authorities.
Further information on the Covenant of Mayors and its commitments on www.eumayors.eu.
Climate Alliance recommendations for the renewed Covenant of Mayors
The current European and international policy context, which will see the 2030 climate and energy framework and the Energy Union put in place as well as the negotiation of a global climate agreement, provides an opportunity for the further development and reinforcement of the Covenant of Mayors initiative. Climate Alliance developed 5 Key Recommendations for the future of the Covenant of Mayors thanks to a dedicated task force and a large discussion during the last Annual Conference.
View the 5 Recommendations for the renewed Covenant of Mayors here.
Within the Covenant of Mayors, the role of Climate Alliance is twofold:
1) running -in partnership with several other local government networks- the Covenant of Mayors Office (CoMO) as well as its branch office (CoMO-EAST) for Eastern Europe, Southern Caucasus and Central Asia regions;
2) acting as an official Covenant Supporter for Climate Alliance members (e.g. facilitating exchange of experience and sharing of best practices among members, managing several Covenant-related projects etc.).
>> Learn more about the activities of Climate Alliance on the following webpages! <<
- Climate Alliance running the Covenant of Mayors Office
- Climate Alliance running the Covenant of Mayors EAST Office
- Climate Alliance acting as an official Covenant Supporter
Top reasons to join the Covenant Community
Covenant Signatories find multiple reasons to join the movement ranging from making a public statement of committing to CO2 reduction, reinforcing the dynamic in the territory, benefitting from encouragement and examples of other pioneers to promoting the main achievements on the Covenant website.
Find here a list of the most frequent reasons expressed by participating local authorities!
More information on "How to Join?"
The Helpdesk, run by Climate Alliance, is the primary interface between local authorities and the Covenant of Mayors Office. It responds to general or technical enquiries:
- Helpdesk Coordinators: Lucie Blondel, Jeppe Jensen, Ana Rita Neves – email: info[at]eumayors.eu
- Helpdesk Focal Points: Svenja Schuchmann (Germany, Austria) | Maria Guerrieri (Italy) | Miguel Morcillo (Spain) – emails: name.surname[at]eumayors.eu