Established and funded by the European Commission, the CoMO is responsible for the coordination and daily management of the initiative. It provides signatories with administrative support and technical guidance, facilitates networking between Covenant stakeholders, and ensures promotion of their successful practices.
The main responsibilities of Climate Alliance within CoMO are the following:
- Coordinating the Covenant Helpdesk – to provide local authorities with information and guidance on the preparation and implementation of both their Baseline Emission Inventory and their Sustainable Energy Action Plan.
- Coordinating the main capacity-building activities (focusing on SEAP implementation) – to ensure knowledge transfer between signatories via targeted events (e.g. workshops, webinars, discussion forums and other peer-to-peer / mentoring activities) and tools (e.g. e-learning and e-benchmarking platforms).
- Developing scientifically sound guidelines for Signatories in day-to-day cooperation with the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission - to equip signatories with clear technical guidelines and reporting templates (see the Summary Table of the Covenant support materials) in order to assist them in the delivery of their Covenant commitments.
- Liaising with a pool of national and regional experts (the so-called "group of practitioners") - to make sure that the methodological framework best responds to signatories' needs and is even more embedded in national and regional processes.
- Monitoring the Covenant implementation and results on the ground - to ensure greater visibility and benchmarking of the signatories' actions (see the online catalogues of SEAPs and Benchmarks of Excellence) and demonstrate the impact of the Covenant initiative as a whole (see a set of aggregated indicators in the "Covenant in Figures" section).
- Collaborating with key initiatives (ManagEnergy, Smart Cities, H2020 etc.) and stakeholders (academic community, citizens, energy agencies, independent experts) – to collect and spread their knowledge / good practices, and support their dissemination.