Climate Plan Development - CLIMATE COMPASS
The Climate Compass method supports local authorities to identify first tangible climate measures and to implement them successfully in the short term. In addition, it provides the basis for a long term and systematic engagement in climate change policies. The integrated approach addresses a full range of policy options for local climate protection in the following fields: climate policy in general, urban development, energy, transport, agriculture, forestry, procurement, and international cooperation. One of the characteristic features of the methodology is to build on activities, achievements and experiences of the respective local authority by integrating the climate change policy into the upcoming developments of the city or municipality.
Five steps with various modules map out your way to a climate-friendly municipality - from initiation to monitoring. Furthermore, a compendium of measures assists municipalities in taking stock and developing future activities. It provides a structure for the process, and information about potentials and opportunities.
Five step approach
- Informing relevant departments of the administration
- Clarifying needs and expectations
- Raising awareness of local climate change policies
- Analysing the setting
- Surveying previous priorities and activities
- Characterising the initial conditions
- Building organisational structures
- Assigning responsibilities and nominating persons in charge
- Forming a climate working group
4. Climate Action Plan
- Defining targets
- Selecting priority measures
- Formulating strategic resolutions (on criteria, standards, etc.)
- Agreeing the mid- and long-term climate strategy
- Developing indicators
- Collecting data for CO2 monitoring
Compendium of Measures
The compendium provides a basic structure for the selection of possible measures for the local climate action plan. Serving as a pool of ideas, a checklist for the inventory and a planning instrument, the compendium constitutes the central decision support system during the process. It gathers 80 areas of work and 320 activities in the 8 fields of action described above.
The full range of potential measures is illustrated in a matrix and backed by more detailed descriptions for each measure on the website and in the shape of measure cards. The measures are divided into four ambition levels from beginner to leader.
Materials for download
- Leaflet about Climate Compass in English, in German, in French, in Italian and in Spanish.
- Compendium of Measures
Ulrike Janssen (u.janssen(at)climatealliance.org)